U21@21 21st Anniversary Funding
U21@21 Fund – what is it?
Universitas 21 was founded at the University of Melbourne in 1997 and so will celebrate its 21st anniversary in 2018. We want to use this opportunity to celebrate the success of the network and increase U21’s profile within our member institutions and the wider international Higher Education community as a whole. Therefore, we invite our members to submit proposals for projects, initiatives and events, to be held in 2018, which will help to celebrate this milestone and demonstrate the value of Universitas 21 to students, staff, academics and broader external audiences.
How will it work?
- Up to $40k of funding is available to support a range of innovative initiatives, which will have a positive impact on members’ staff and / or students.
- All academics, professional services staff and students (with the direct support of a staff advocate) within U21 institutions can bid for a share of the fund and U21 will look to support as broad a range of staff and student led projects as possible.
- All applicants must complete the U21@21 Fund Application Form (along with proof of approval from the U21 Senior Leader and a staff advocate for student applicants).
- As a general guide, we anticipate that the maximum funding allocated for any individual bid will be $5k however, larger amounts will be considered, particularly if the proposal demonstrates wide institutional cooperation and impacts on staff / students from more than one U21 member.
- The deadline for applications is Friday 10th November 2017. Successful applicants will be informed by the end of November 2017. Funds must be spent by the end of October 2018 with all projects to be completed / delivered by the end of November 2018 at the latest.
- Decisions will be made by a small panel including the Chair of the Senior Leaders Group, U21 Provost, and a staff and student representative.
- All applicants will be asked to deliver a short report on their project, if possible a short video, which will be included in communications surrounding U21@21 and may be shared online via the website and social media.
To be considered for funding your project must demonstrate that it:
- supports the main strategic objective of U21, which is to promote the value and benefits of Internationalisation;
- offers a unique opportunity to enrich the staff and student experience within your institution;
- will positively raise the profile of U21 – projects that have an impact on individuals from more than one member will be preferred;
- can be badged in some way to recognise and celebrate U21@21;
- would not happen anyway – this fund is not intended to provide substitute funding. Any matched funding from an institution will advantage an application;
- has the support of your U21 Senior Leader (and a relevant staff advocate for applications from students).
- Monday 31st July 2017 Applications open.
- August – October 2017 – Advice and support for staff and students in the development of their bids will be available via emailing email@example.com.
- Friday 10th November 2017 - Closing date for receipt of bids and supporting documents.
- November 2017 - Panel meet and final decisions to be made by the end of the month.
- Wednesday 31st October 2018 - Spending deadline (funds must have been drawn down and spent on the project awarded the grant).
- November 2018 – Projects must be delivered / completed by the end of the month.
- Friday 21st December 2018 – Deadline for report on the impact of the project.
Please note that grants must be spent by Wednesday 31st October 2018 or risk being withdrawn.
How to apply?
Please fill out the application form available online and submit it by the closing date of Friday 10th November 2017.
Please note that your application will need to be approved by your Senior Leader (and staff advocate for student applications). Please ask them to sign the form or attach an email which demonstrates their support for the bid.
When filling in your application please be advised to:
- Fully and realistically cost your project;
- Explain clearly how the money will be used;
- Show how you will measure its success and report back to U21 on the impact of the project;
- Include the proposed implementation date;
- Explain how you plan to promote the fact that U21 funding made this project possible;
- Ensure your Senior Leader and, if required, staff advocate authorises the proposal.
Information for staff advocates
To ensure that this funding is accessible to all, student projects require a member of staff to act as an advocate. Students who apply either individually or as a group, team or society must provide the name of a staff advocate who can oversee the projects funding and expenditure. Students must also provide proof that a member of staff has authorised the proposal by submitting a cover note from their advocate and U21 Senior Leader with their application and / or asking them to sign the application form.
As a staff advocate you will:
- Be able to receive the project's funding within a university held budget / account;
- Oversee and authorise expenditure;
- Be responsible for ensuring the project meets University health and safety requirements and risk regulations and University financial regulations.
This is a great opportunity to demonstrate the value that U21 offers to your staff and students by making a difference to their day-to-day experience. Please join us in celebrating U21’s 21st anniversary!
If you have any questions or require any support in formulating your bid, please don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.