U21:Connect - February 2017
Welcome to this month's news from the
Universitas 21 network.
Former U21 Executive Director to become Vice-Chancellor
- Professor Eva Wiberg will become the Vice-Chancellor at the University of Gothenburg from 1 July 2017.
- Currently the Deputy Vice-Chancellor at Lund University, Professor Wiberg held the post of Executive Director of U21 in 2015 and 2016
- Many congratulations to Eva from all at U21 and we are very pleased that she will still be attending the U21 AGM at the University of Nottingham in May!
22 U21 member cities named in Top 100 QS Best Student Cities rankings
- Of the 25 universities in the U21 network almost 90% of them are in cities in the Top 100 of the recently published QS Best Student Cities index, which identifies the best cities worldwide in which international students can study. Over 70% of which ranked the Top 50.
- As a global network committed to supporting student mobility between member universities and an internationalisation of the student experience, U21 is particularly pleased that this index suggests that so many network members are located in cities that offer our students positive and agreeable environments in which to live and study.
- The Best Student Cities QS ranking is based on a range of indicators grouped into five key categories including University Rankings in the city, Student Mix, Desirability, Employer Activity, and Affordability. For the 2017 rankings QS have added an extra category called Student View, which draws on opinions of current student and recent graduates from around the world.
- For more on the news, please follow the link below:
QS Best Student Cities
14 member universities published in THE ranking of World's Most International Universities 2017
- Fourteen of our twenty-five member universities appear in the recently published Times Higher Education ranking of The World’s Most International Universities 2017.
- The news is a significant endorsement of one of Universitas 21's underlying principles, which is valuing and fostering a truly international dialogue across a worldwide network of top-class research-intensive universities.
- View a full list and rankings report by clicking the link in the article, or on Twitter via #InternationalAndProud
- For reaction from our Provost, Professor Bairbre Redmond, please click on the link below:
THE Most International Universities
Reminder: U21 AGM registration open!
- Registration is now open for the U21 Annual Network Meeting and Presidential Symposium, hosted by the University of Nottingham.
- The annual meeting open to Presidents and Senior Leaders from all U21 member institutions, will be held on Wednesday 3 May - Friday 5 May 2017.
- Preliminary details of the programme are online as well as details for completing hotel bookings and information on transport options.
- For further details, including hotel booking information, please follow the AGM 2017 link below.
- To register your attendance, please follow the 'Register Here' link:
U21 institutions shine in QS Wharton Stars awards
- Six different U21 institutions featured amongst the winners and finalists in various disciplinary, regional and thematic awards for innovative higher education pedagogies which enhance learning.
- Particularly impressive were the contributions from Tecnológico de Monterrey (the 2017 hosts for the U21 Education Innovation annual conference), Shanghai Jiao Tong University and the University of Hong Kong, who were awardees in more than one category.
- The awards are a wonderful endorsement for both the breadth and quality of innovative educational approaches developed and led from within U21 member institutions.
- For full details as well as the list of awardees and finalists, please follow the link below:
QS Wharton Stars
Educational Innovation Conference dates
- The annual U21 Educational Innovation Conference will be held October 31-November 2, 2017, at Tec de Monterrey on their Monterrey, Mexico campus.
- This year's discussions and workshops will explore “Challenging Traditional Thinking: Technology Enhanced Learning + Design Thinking”.
- Additional program details, including registration information, will be available very soon. SAVE THE DATE and plan to send up to three senior leaders from each member institution to this "must attend" annual event.
Call for nominations opens for 2017 ECR workshop
- The 2017 Early Career Researcher Workshop will take place on 4-6 October 2017 at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- This year’s theme is “Interculturality and Multiculturalism: the challenges for changing societies.
- The workshop is open to all researchers based within U21 members who are within eight years of receiving their PhD.
- A draft programme is now available on our website and nomination forms have been sent out to all members alerting them to start their internal selection processes.
- The deadline for the U21 Secretariat to receive nominations is Friday 5 May 2017.
- Further information is available on the event webpage:
New Academic Leads for the Researcher Engagement Cluster
- The Researcher Engagement Cluster has new Co-Leads in Professor Andy Hor (Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research), University of Hong Kong) and Associate Professor Caroline Daley (Dean of Graduate Studies, University of Auckland) who also Chair the Research Leaders’ Group and Deans and Directors of Graduate Studies Group respectively.
- Universitas 21 would like to thank Professor Patrick O’Shea for the energy and enthusiasm he bought to the Researcher Engagement Cluster and wish him well as he takes up the role of President of University College Cork.
Deadlines approaching for SE undergraduate events!
- There are a number of nomination deadlines approaching for U21 undergraduate activities:
- Summer School: The University of Johannesburg is offering ten places for U21 students (on a first come, first served basis) in its Summer School on ‘Fabricating Design Space/s’. Nomination deadline: 17 March 2017
- Social Entrepreneur Corps: Led by the University of Connecticut, this programme takes place in Ecuador in 2017. Nomination Deadline: 24 March 2017
- Undergraduate Research Conference: The University of Edinburgh is hosting the U21 URC in 2017, on the theme of ‘Future Societies, Global Citizens’. Nomination Deadline: 31 March 2017
- Students must be nominated by their home institution for each activity. Please contact Bernice Molloy for further information.
Student Experience Cluster Academic Lead appointed
- Professor James Conroy (Vice Principal (Internationalisation), University of Glasgow) has taken over the role of Academic Lead of the Student Experience Cluster from Prof Frank Coton.
- Universitas 21 would like to acknowledge and sincerely thank Professor Coton for this valuable contribution to the Student Experience Cluster during his tenure on the Steering Group.
People & Places
UCD appoint new Director of International Affairs
- Douglas Proctor has been appointed as Director of International Affairs at University College Dublin.
- Douglas joins UCD from the University of Melbourne where he has recently completed a PhD in international higher education, focusing on the international dimensions of academic work and the international engagement of academic staff.
- Prior to his doctoral studies, Douglas held academic and senior managerial positions at universities in France, New Caledonia and Australia.
- He currently serves as a member of the Editorial Committee of the US-based Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA) and is co-editing a book for Routledge which will offer new perspectives on the future agenda for internationalisation in higher education.
UBC Past President receives Lifetime Achievement Award
- Past President and Vice-Chancellor, Martha Piper, has been recognised by Business in Vancouver as one of B.C's most Influential Women in Business as part of their 2017 annual awards.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award is awarded in recognition of outstanding businesswomen who have helped to influence and shape policy in the province and globally.
- Dr Piper held her position at UBC from 1997 until 2006, and was the 11th person in the role and the first woman President of the university.
- Many congratulations to Dr Piper and to the University of British Columbia on the award, for full details, please follow the link below:
Influential Women in Business 2017
Follow Universitas 21 on Social Media
- To follow U21 on Twitter, please click the Twitter link below or search for @U21news on Twitter or via #U21Network.
- Connect with U21 and colleagues from across the network on LinkedIn by searching for Universitas 21 or by following the link below.