U21:Connect - March 2017
Welcome to this month's news from the Universitas 21 network.
News and Events
AGM Registrations to close this week!
- Registrations for the U21 Annual Network Meetings and Presidential Symposium will close on 31 March 2017.
- The annual meeting open to Presidents and Senior Leaders from all U21 member institutions, will be held on Wednesday 3 May - Friday 5 May 2017 at the University of Nottingham.
- If you plan to attend the meeting, please ensure you have registered before the cut-off date at the end of the month.
- For further details, including hotel booking information, please follow the AGM 2017 link below.
- To register your attendance, please follow the 'Register Here' link:
- ‘A Good National System of Higher Education: the Lessons of the U21 Rankings’ has been selected to be included in an upcoming book published by the Center for International Higher Education in collaboration with University World News.
- The book is titled Understanding Global Higher Education: Insights from Key Global Publications, the publication will offer an overview of the diverse themes addressed by University World News and International Higher Education in the last 5 years.
- The article by Professor Ross Williams, author of the U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems, is available via the link below:
- The U21 Rankings for 2017 will be launched on 5th May 2017 during the U21 Annual Network Meeting and Presidential Symposium at the University of Nottingham.
U21 Rankings Article
U21 members lead the way in Times Higher Asia Rankings
- The National University of Singapore is the top institution in the continent for the second year in a row.
- The rankings, which have been expanded to include 300 universities, up from 200 institutions last year, list the University of Hong Kong in 5th.
- Fudan University (16th), Shanghai Jiao Tong University (18th) and Korea University (20th) all ranked in the top 20.
- Many congratulations to our members in Asia!
U21 Shared Online Course (U21 SOC) 2017
- The U21 SOC, “Planetary Urbanisation: Global Challenges in a Changing World”, will run again in a closed offering week commencing 3 April 2017.
- The 5-week online course (time demand of 2-3 hours per week) focuses on this intensifying large-scale planetary change.
- Through readings, discussion, videos and other activities, U21 students will be introduced to how humans are experiencing and being challenged by this major global shift.
- The course is suitable for students at or above first year undergraduate level and is also open to members of staff at U21 institutions.
- Whether you are a medic, a scientist, a social scientist, engineer or a scholar in the humanities, the questions we discuss will be relevant to the world you will work and live in!
- Follow the link for more details: www.universitas21.com/link/u21soc17
U21 Educational Innovation Conference 2017 - save the date!
- The EI Conference will be hosted by Tec de Monterrey at their Monterrey campus on 31 October - 2 November 2017 (with optional additional workshop on November 3).
- The annual event will this year be looking at “Challenging Traditional Thinking: Technology Enhanced Learning + Design Thinking”.
- Each U21 member institution is invited to send up to three senior delegates (normally the VP/PVC Education, other senior academic leaders and/or the Director of Teaching and Learning).
- Further details, including registration information, will be available soon, but meanwhile, SAVE THE DATE and plan to join us in Mexico!
Citations, Impact and International Ranking Symposium
- The University of Hong Kong, in partnership with Elsevier, is hosting a research management symposium on Citations, Impact and International Ranking.
- The symposium will allow pertinent and emerging issues to be discussed with various stakeholders and provide an opportunity to share ideas, findings, challenges and solutions in this important field.
- Several U21 members are represented in the list of speakers, including Professor Andrew Deeks, UCD President and Dr Martin Kirk, UBC’s representative on the Research Collaboration Group.
- As hosts, the University of Hong Kong are offering to waive the registration fee for up to two nominees from each Universitas 21 member university. Nominees will be collated by the U21 Research Leaders and must be confirmed with HKU by 15th April 2017.
- Full details of the conference programme and online registration, for those not covered by the fee waiver, can be found at: http://vpr.hku.hk/colloquium.
- For further details, please contact Christina Mellor (email@example.com)
Research Collaboration Group meeting – registration opens
- The next U21 Research Collaboration Group meeting will be hosted by the University of Johannesburg on 18-19 May 2017.
- The theme for this meeting will be ‘Research and Innovation’ and will include sessions covering industrial funding opportunities, research impact and issues around ethics and integrity.
- Faculty Deans from the University of Johannesburg will facilitate a panel discussion on Public-Private Research Partnerships.
- The University of Maryland will also be running their BRAKE (Borderless Research Administration Knowledge Exchange) workshops on Uniform Guidance for Foreign Entities prior to the meeting.
- Registration for the meeting is now open to members of the U21 Research Collaboration Group, for event information please click 'RCG 2017' and to register, click 'Register Here' below:
- Undergraduate Research Conference: The University of Edinburgh is hosting the U21 URC in 2017, on the theme of ‘Future Societies, Global Citizens’. Nomination Deadline: 31 March 2017
2017 Global Ingenuity Challenge (GIC)
- The U21 2017 Global Ingenuity Challenge is currently in progress – it runs from March 6 – 31 this year.
- Fourteen institutions have registered to participate, and are working towards a solution for ‘Promoting Cultural Inclusiveness in Society’.
- The winning team will be announced in early May.
People & Places
Tecnológico de Monterrey appoint new Rector
- Professor David Garza Salazar (pictured) has been appointed Rector of Tecnológico de Monterrey.
- The appointment comes following Rector David Noel Ramírez Padilla's decision to retire following 100 uninterrupted semesters in the position.
- Professor Garza takes up the position as Rector starting July 1st 2017.
- Professor Garza will be well known to many across the U21 network, particularly the student experience cluster, having been an integral part of the SE Steering Group.
- Many congratulations to Professor Garza and best wishes to Rector David Noel Ramírez Padilla in his retirement.
Shanghai Jiao Tong appoint new President
- President ZHANG Jie has finished his tenure as the President of SJTU after serving two terms at the university.
- President ZHANG Jie will now take up the position of Associate President of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Formal Senior Vice President LIN Zhongqin (pictured) has been appointed the new President of SJTU.
- Many congratulations from all at U21 to President LIN Zhongqin and best wishes to President ZHANG Jie for the future.
Follow Universitas 21 on Social Media
- To follow U21 on Twitter, please click the Twitter link below or search for @U21news on Twitter or via #U21Network.
- Connect with U21 and colleagues from across the network on LinkedIn by searching for Universitas 21 or by following the link below.
- Subscribe to our U21:Connect monthly eBulletin, here: SUBSCRIBE