In October 2020 U21 offered a new online international opportunity for students across the network. Universitas 21 Global Citizenship was an online leadership development course, delivered by Common Purpose, a global not-for-profit organisation that specializes in Cross-Boundary Leadership, with 75 student spaces available per member.
Please note the first U21 Global Citizenship course took place 5 October-23 October 2020 and is not currently open for applications.
The course was open to 2,000 students from all universities across the U21 network. U21 is a truly global network of 27 universities that span 18 countries and 19 time zones, and throughout the course participants engaged with and learn from students across the globe.
By developing ideas together, across borders and time zones, students develop skills needed to thrive in the 21st century whilst tackling some of the world’s most pressing problems, outlined in the United Nation Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG). With the support of Common Purpose’s trained facilitators, participants were guided to reflect on the improvement in their cultural competency and awareness throughout the course and how they, as individuals and as groups, can turn their learning into valuable global action.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Any registered student (post or undergraduate) at a U21 member university. All applicants must be over the age of 18 at the time of the course start date.
Who should apply for the U21 Global Citizenship course?
- Wants to connect, learn and discuss global issues with students around the world
- Is interested in social and environmental challenges
- Wants to experience international cooperation and leadership
- Is looking for like-minded individuals to develop ideas for social change
- Is thinking of taking part in the U21 RISE competition to win funding for a social enterprise innovation
What can I expect from the U21 Global Citizenship?
- Being part of an online cohort of up to 2000 student innovators across the world
- A minimum of 9 hours of learning across 3 weeks of online engagement, discussions and development
- The opportunity to undertake independent study at a time that suits you via the U21 Global Citizenship online platform
- Additional, optional online workshops run in real-time with students across the world to consolidate learning and create connections (these will take place on Thursday 8 and Thursday 15 October at 3am – 4.30am BST and 4pm – 5.30pm BST - students are welcome to join the session which best suits their timezone and committments)
- Time to work in smaller groups on the topics that interest you
- Access to insights from global leaders who will share their knowledge and experience
“This was a great and insightful course. It has made me reconsider a lot of things that I thought I was passionate about and I have even started to have conversations with colleagues and family. This course has definitely given me skills that can be applied in real life and start to make a difference.” - Previous Global Citizenship participant
What do I get for taking part in the course?
Upon completion of the course all participants will be:
- Equipped to take rapid action on the Sustainable Development Goal that you choose
- Able to step outwards and collaborate with diverse networks
- Ready to challenge preconceptions and better inform people’s perspectives
- Better equipped to operate across hierarchies
- Better prepared to live and maintain your values and integrity
All participants who complete the end of programme's final assessment will:
- Receive a U21/Common Purpose micro-credential and badge which you can display on your LinkedIn profile, demonstrating that you have developed the skills to tackle complex global issues and stand up as a leader.
- Gain access to the Common Purpose alumni community, with access to global leaders and opportunities to engage virtually.
- Be in a position to move forward as an individual or with a group of like-minded individuals to progress their sustainable development goal.
Who are Common Purpose?
Common Purpose is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 1989 that develops leaders who can operate across boundaries. They deliver face-to-face and online leadership programmes for multiple generations of leaders: from students to senior leaders in organisations and society.